What is a Kit Home?
A kit home is a house made from prefabricated components delivered to a specified location where to be assembled either by the owner builder or by a hired building professional. Kit homes designed to be affordable and can save around 30% when building a new home. They are available in various designs, big or small and have the potential to customize each floor plan to suit.
Whats included in a Kit Home?
At Wholesale Homes and Sheds, we clearly classify components into the four building stages of a kit home – Floor Kit, Lockup Kit, Lining Kit and Final Kit.
Floor Kit Components
- All the basic materials needed to lay the flooring of your structure – H3-treated house bearers and joists, bearer infill, termifloor sheeting and merbau hardwood decking, among others.
- Please note that while sub floor posts are not included in our standard package, we can supply them if requested.
- Steel bearers and joists can also be supplied if required.
Lock Up Components
- At the stage where the structure is complete externally – i. e., the external walls, roof, windows and doors are fitted, Wholesale Homes and Sheds materials include engineered plans and specifications for submission to your Local Council, internal and external frames, bracing, battens and more.
- They include quality products like Sisalation® external wall insulation, Colorbond® roofing and Hardiflex® sheets, for instance.
- If garage is included in your plan, these will also include sectional panel lift-garage doors, jambs, motor and remote control.
- Steel frames and trusses can also be supplied if required.
- These include plasterboards and Villaboard® products for walls, FJP (finger-jointed pre-primed) timber for skirting and architraves, among others.
- Pre-hung and sliding door sets include door furniture and locks as per plan.
- These are mainly composed of kitchen and bath essentials like ceramic toilets, vanity unit and basin, stainless steel kitchen sink, chrome tap sets, hot water system, and more.
- Stainless steel electric oven and cook top are included. Range hood is supplied if overhead cupboards are in the plan.
What’s not included in a Kit Home?
While our kit home provides almost all the basic necessities for you to build your own home, labour, delivery, plumbing, soil testing, landscaping and other related products and services are among the exclusions. These are usually purchased separately from a kit home.
For a complete list of exclusions, please see this page.
Who build’s a Kit Home?
If your looking to save money whilst building, the best way to do is by owner building. We include an online owner builders course with all our homes which allows you to build yourself or contract the work out yourself.
This allows you to stay in control of the build, build at your own pace and stay on budget.
Can i make changes to a design?
All our plans are flexible with changing the plan from the original.
About 90% of customers change the plan from the original, so if you want to extend the back deck, add a bigger window or change a wall that is not a problem.
Do you have any display homes that i can visit?
Because we are a national supplier, we have found display homes are very expensive to operate and upkeep and prefer to pass the savings on to our buyers.
However, there may be an actual Wholesale Homes and Sheds Kit Home built that you can see near your area.
Do you supply homes in a Cyclonic Rated Area?
Yes we can. There will be an increase in cost as compared to our standard price as we will have to upgrade a few items to meet the regulations to make it Cyclonic Rated.
Do you supply homes in a High Bushfire Rated area?
Yes we can. Although there will be an increase of price compared to our standard prices as we will have to modify and upgrade some items to ensure it meets the regulations.
What is a Granny Flat?
A 'Granny Flat' is a term used to describe a secondary dwelling on an exisitng property. This dwelling can be used for additional living space, home office or teenagers retreat.
In some cases they are used as a seperate living area to house elderly parents.